Not the Baltimore Orioles (the baseball team) but a phenomenon of chimney swifts who fly into these industrial sized chimneys for a period during the early fall. They sleep in the chimneys at night having flown in as a tremendous group at dusk. The Baltimore Bird Club (aka the BBC !) watches and counts these birds each year.
Thanks for filming this and sharing it Roberta!
CHIMNEY SWIFTS AT DUSK, DRUID HILL PARK CONSERVATORY (GREENHOUSE) Join the BBC SwiftWatch Team for "Swift Night Out" as Chimney Swifts pour into the Conservatory chimney. Swifts are counted and results, nationwide, are listed at Chimneyswifts . Baltimore has some of the highest counts in the nation. Come at 7:15 if the weather is cloudy or gray. (the date for this was Sept 14 but as of Sept 18 they were still flying in. No frost yet.)
In addition to the conservatory, you can try these locations - Mill Center at 3000 Chestnut Street and/or the Freestate Bookbindery at 3110 Elm Avenue, Baltimore.
- ► 2016 (206)
- ► 2015 (209)
- ► 2014 (217)
- ► 2013 (251)
- ► 2012 (248)
- ► 2011 (235)
- ► 2010 (268)
- ► 2009 (248)
- Goin' to Jail
- I'm doin' this
- Crafty Bastards
- This is ...show off time.
- Baby word
- I'm a little chopstick....long and slim
- Love Friday
- 36 Million Women
- Refugee Crafter: Tu-tu Giveaway!
- On My Desk...September 24
- Moon over Manhattan
- Happy Autumn
- This is ..my dream job
- Cynthia Collage
- Baltimore Birds..no, not THOSE birds
- CleverGirlGoesBlog says... Having cats is kind of...
- On my Desk....September 17
- Off on a tangent...what a good tangent
- Pay it Forward
- This is...what I do with 10 spare minutes
- Love Friday and Flashback Friday
- Tea for 2 and 2 for Tea
- He couldn't Wait
- On My Desk...September 10
- Love NY? So does Art Cumings
- This is...my all time favorite band
- Time to click and party!
- Love Friday?
- I've been schmapped
- On my Desk...September 3
- It's my birthday!
- World Blog Day...part 2
- World Blog Day...oh ...yesterday
- ▼ September (33)
Many years, I take the time in December to clear out my computer, make a good dent in the things in my studio so I feel I have free and open...
1. My son is moving from the West Coast to the East and that means I ought to go visit him soon so I can eat at Zait and Zaatar in Anaheim...
As we hear ifs and maybes about upcoming snow, I'm looking at images of a snowfall back in 1966. My husband and I drove up from our new ...
1. Happily out of the hospital, and with a collection of drugs I appear t be making my way back to health. I can spend my days out of bed ...
Waking up in London is always nice. Then there's airplane brekkie. It was pretty good though we both passed on the granola bar. Dry as s...
1.Well the snow arrived! In our backyard, which doesn't get the sun til much later in the day if at all, the snow covers the deck an...
Much of a vacation is the to-ing and fro-ing. I usually consider this the worst part but sometimes if I take my time and observe it can be p...
Last week I made this layout for a challenge. Well, I'm no longer in London so I had to hope for snow in Maryland. Not a blizzard...